More on Crossed Field Antenna

Andre Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Sat, 03 Jan 1998 22:47:18 -0500

--------------C25E1411999600E1657210B7

We all know that our two major problems on VLF are   (a)
noise and  (b) antenna efficiency. Probably not much can be
done about noise, but any antenna efficiency improvement
would obviously be more than welcome  :-)
Hence my interest in antennas other than traditional. The
Crossed Field Antenna (CFA) designed by GM3HAT certainly
matches the definition of  "other than traditional". (see
Wireless World Dec 1990).
On 13 December 97, I wrote to Maurice Hately GM3HAT but have
not received any reply so far. (See my posting to this site
of 19 Dec, copy attached herewith).

But, surprise, on page 42 of CQ Magazine for January 1998,
in an article on antennas:

Quoting in part: "[...] Maurice C. Hately GM3HAT offers
several innovative Skyware HF antennas [...]  First is the
CFL1 Crossed Field Loop Antenna, capable of handling 200
watts RF PEP. [...] The antenna depends on the principle of
"Poynting Vector Synthesis", a complex, patented process
explained in detail in the Hately product literature. [...]
The system includes the phasing unit and cost $499 to $599
depending on feeder configuration.
Next up are the EMDR (Electromagnetic Delay Line Radiator) 1
and 2 antennas. [...] Maurice describes the EMDR as a
"developed form" of the Crossed field antenna in the form of
a slender radiating delay-line consisting of a flat,
three-wire cable of low-loss polypropylene material. Two
versions are available the EMDR 1 (28 ft long, $369) and the
EMDR 2 (51 ft long, $399).  For more information and a
detailed explanation of the operation of these unusual
antennas, contact Hately Antenna Technology, 1 Kenfield
Place, Aberdeen, AB15 7UW, Scotland, UK.
End partial quote.

My comments: in 1991, after the publication of the original
article in WW, the "letters to the Editor" evidenced
considerable skepticism about the principles behind the CFA,
as well as some of the claims by the author. This was 7
years ago, and by now, the applications and results should
be demonstrable and measurable.

My questions :
a) Has anyone in this group seen this GM3HAT literature?
b) Can anyone in this LF group bring further light on the
subject?
c) Does anyone in this group know anyone else who might have
tried either the loop or the EMDR?
d) Does GM3HAT have a listed telephone number?

73

André Kesteloot N4ICK

--------------C25E1411999600E1657210B7