Phone Scam

Frank Skip Pratt fpratt@dayton.adroit.com
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 12:19:44 -0500

Gang,

A friend of mine working at the Air Force Academy sent this information
on telephone scams which may be of use to some of us working with phone
systems and PBX's.

73,

Skip - n2foe

<snip>

Date            : Thursday, February 5, 1998 at 2:49:08 pm MST

Network Security has received numerous questions concerning
an e-mail circulating the Internet about a telephone scam.
The e-mail reads as follows:

        <BEGIN SCAM WARNING>
        On Saturday,  24 January 1998, Naval Air Station, Joint
        Reserve Base, New Orleans' Quarterdeck received a telephone
        call from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T
        Service Technician that was running a test on our telephone
        lines.  He stated that to complete the test the QMOW should
        touch nine (9), zero (0), pound sign (#) and hang up.
        Luckily, the QMOW was suspicious and refused.  Upon contacting
        the telephone company we were informed that by pushing 90# you
        end up giving the individual that called you access to your
        telephone line and allows them to place a long distance
        telephone call, with the charge appearing on your telephone
        call.  We were further informed that this scam has been
        originating from many of the local jails/prisons.
        Please "pass the word".
        </END SCAM WARNING>

Network Security has spoken with both AT&T and the US West
Call Annoyance Bureau, and both companies have confirmed that
this is indeed possible.  According to Corie Moran at US West's
Call Annoyance Bureau, "This is a way for people to hack into
the system.  It leaves the line open," allowing them to place
domestic and international long-distance calls at YOUR expense.

Moran added that, although to her knowledge no long-distance
company would ever ask you to dial an access code like 90# to
verify a service call, the access codes nevertheless do exist
and con artists will ask you dial access codes, so you should
be aware.  Moran also indicated that access codes may vary
by local telephone company, so you should always call the
Business Office of your local telephone company and check if
you get a call that sounds "fishy."