Bands above 71 GHz

Paul L Rinaldo rinaldo@ties.itu.ch
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:26:38

Greetings, again, from Geneva. This is to ask you to gather some
information.

The ITU will consider allocations to services above 71 GHz. The radio
astronomers want some specific bands, the passive Earth sending guys want
others. In fact, they're thinking of proposing moving some of the amateur
bands aside so they can look at specific spectral lines. At the same time,
these folks are contemplating bands up to 400 GHz, as well as their navels.

Do you have any info about the characteristics of frequencies between 71
GHz and 400 GHz which could be translated into requirements for the amateur
and amateur satellite services? What bands would we particularly want?
Which ones not? At this point, I have no idea how much spectrum we might
ask for but a starting point could be the same percentage we have (say) in
the 10 - 71 GHz.

Please let me have your views... either via email while I'm in Geneva or in
person when I get back home.

73, Paul, 4U/W4RI