More on Litz Wire

Andre Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:15:11 -0400

One of my own  --possibly blasé--  theories is that, this being a huge
Government contract, the fellow who wrote the original specs (against which the
various manufacturers had to bid) did not know all about Litz wire, and decided
that Litz was better than no-Litz (based on the sound bureaucratic approach that
"one never knows"), and that none of the bidders dared to question the
Government document's wisdom. And anyway, it increased the cost of the
contract...   ;-)
Also, the equipment, as I recall, was built circa 1937. hence the specs were
probably written i 1935 or '36.  The quote I recently posted from the RCA book
(and reprinted later in Langford-Smith) is dated 1941. Possibly they learned
something between 1935 and 1941...
73,
André N4ICK