GAMMA BURST: Need help from hams!!! (fwd)

David V. Rogers dvrogers@seas.gwu.edu
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:51:43 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:33:59 -0400
From: Dick Rucker <rrucker@clark.net>
To: "Denny Avers, W3DRY" <avers@ibm.net>,
    "Stan Sulak, KD4YEP" <ssulak@case.com>
Subject: GAMMA BURST: Need help from hams!!!

Date: 	Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:18:23 -0600 (MDT)

From: Paul Harden <pharden@aoc.nrao.edu>
To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
Subject: Re: GAMMA BURST: Need help from hams!!!

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Brian Mileshosky wrote:
> I was just wondering why all the
> hype of this event just came out now?  According to your report to the
> list, this event happened in August...why so long to report it?

Brian (and others),

Actually, that is a very good question that has an interesting answer,
at least as I understand it from all the activity at the observatory
past couple of days.

First, the VLA radiotelescope is used by visiting astronomers 24 hours
a day and is "booked up" about 6 months in advance.  To use the
instrument, you must submit an observing proposal, which are reviewed
and those with proper merit are granted for the next 6 month period.
There is virtually no free time on the radiotelescopes.

The gamma burst occured on August 27th, and it was not until Sept. 3rd
that Dr. Frail was able to "steal" some telescope time on the VLA to
search the region of the sky where it appeared to originate from.
Fortunately, he was able to find an object, SGR 1900+14, that was
still emitting vast amounts of power.  A mere few days later, the
star returned to being a low-level "point source" object.  While this
pretty much confirms the source of the gamma emitter, now referred to
as a "magnetar," it *is* a sample of one, and with such a short duration
event, it was not observed by anyother instruments other than the
satellite detectors (which saturated from the power and thus provides
little real data).

Astronomers are brilliant people, but like any science, you tend to
be confined to your own discipline.  There was no thought of checking
other indicators, such as if our ionosphere reacted to it, because
prior to yesterday, astronomers would tell you that a gamma burst to
do that would just have to be huge beyond human comprehension.  And
with the satellite sensors saturating, nobody knew how powerful this
event really was, but certainly not powerful enough to ionize our
atmosphere.

Then yesterday, it was learned that Stanford University recorded a
total absorption event on their VLF path receivers around 10 KHz.
This is a system of transmitter and receivers located at various
places (like Bangor, WA and CA with receivers in Boulder, CO to
mention a few I know of) that use VLF to perform plasma physics
experiments.  Their August 27th data shows total absorption occuring
at 10 KHz (not sure of the exact frequency used) at exactly 1022 UTC
and lasting 5 minutes.  This is an unexplained phenomenon at such low
frequencies, as it would require a huge ionizing event where the
radiation reached the lower portion of our atmosphere, if not striking
the earths surface itself.  In turn, they contacted the solar people
to find out if a major flare had occured at that time, even though
the effected area was in darkness.  Eventually this led to realizing
it occured exactly when the gamma burst arrived, and suddenly
scientists of various disciplines started talking to eachother.

The "big deal" about this is that for gamma radiation to strike the
earth, coming from 15,000 light years away, sufficient to ionize
even the D-layer (closest to the earths surface) and cause absorption
into the KHz range, would require power unlike ever before recorded.
Another big deal is that gamma radiation, itself, would likely not
cause a geomagnetic disturbance, if indeed the geomagnetic storm that
same day is related.  This implies that a cloud of PARTICLES (heavy
stuff) was traveling along with the radiation shock wave at nearly
the speed of light ... indeed, in itself a most unusual occurance.

In summary ... this is the FIRST TIME EVER that a celestial event outside
of our solar system has effected the earth's environment.  And that
is a "big deal."  Scientists involved mull over this data and tend to
be very cautious before making a press release with such a profound
significance, and hence the one month delay.  This gamma burst
discovery *will* alter our understanding of cellestial physics.

72, Paul NA5N