Loran in Virginia

Andre' Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:22:30 -0400

John W Gould wrote:

> [...] In relationship to a possible US to Europe QSO, G3JKV said that he
> had carried out calculations that suggested that communication might just
> be
> possible between Northwest Europe and the East Coast of the US in a 10Hz
> bandwidth. He asked N4ICK if he could confirm whether or not Loran-C
> could be received on 136 kHz in the U.S. emanating from U.S.
> transmitters.

To answer Walter's request, indeed Loran signals (i.e., "Galloping Horses")
can definitely be heard here in McLean, Virginia (4 miles NW from Washington
DC)

Very strong on 100 KHz, I can hear the Loran splatter up to approximately
112 KHz.   Nothing heard on 136 KHz with a 2 KHz audio bandwidth (on my US
Navy 1942 receiver...)

73
Andre' N4ICK