LF: Re: LF Reception test ?

Andre' Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:11:08 -0500

dave wrote:

> I would certainly be interested in trying a test and so would many others I
> imagine. Might I suggest a part of the band be specified for transmissions
> by European stations at set times rather than a spot frequency? This would
> give the receive station some chance of deciphering one signal or another
> rather than a pile-up on one freq.

thanks for the excellent idea. Again, we could follow for the first
test, Walter's suggestions of listening to a powerful European station.
The BBC on 198kHz (necessairly closer to the ocean than any continental
one) may in that respect be even better than the station he suggested.

> Considering Walter's observations of Loran interference, it may be
> necessary for the receiving station to come armed with loop antennas.

we do have a 3ft-long ferrite loop, for starters

> Some of the G stations are having great success with large single-turn
> receiving
> loops to null out Loran ( step forward Derek G3GRO ) and these techniques
> may be needed....

we will need all the help we can get  :-)
thanks in advance
73
Andre'  N4ICK