Thomas Jefferson

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:11:05 +0000 (GMT)

Paul and the group

I have been looking at some web pages and there seems to be a fair amount
of ongoing work.  My main concern now is whether we can expect to recover
launches from our area without there being blown over the Chesapeake Bay
or worse yet the Atlantic Ocean.  Another thought is that there may not
be that much unplowed ground to do pioneering work with.  A brief review
of the high points....

Goddard has a SIMSAT program aimed at helping schools
on this type of thing. >>http://garc.gsfc.nasa.gov/~simsat/<<

Kansas State University (my alma mater I might add) has a Near Space
Project.  >>http://www.ksu.edu/humec/knsp/<<

The graddaddy which I found an early paper on in your office was the
"Franklin Project" which has become the WINDTRAX project.
>>http://www.windtrax.org/<< I talked to one of the Windtrax people on the
phone last night and they are very active at present in working with the
schools.

I also found that the US Navel Academy had launched one balloon
several years ago.  >>http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/balloons.html<<
I suspect Bob Bruninga had something to do with this judging from the URL.

There seem to be a number of amateur launches these days and there is a
web site that seems to be keeping track of most of them
<<http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/3161/hablic.htm<<

Frank