[Fwd: LF: 15-18 Jan LF Rx Tests]

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:55:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
To answer the question...
Notebook is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 425.  It is a 100 mHz Pentium and
uses an ESS688 chip set built in <<http://www.esstech.com/>> so it cannot
be changed.  I updated the driver with no improvement in compatibility
with SPECTROGRAM, HAMVIEW and others.  The problem seems to be that most
of these programs switch to a DOS window and expect to communicate
directly to the chip set assuming it is a Soundblaster.  In the notebook
this ESS688 chipset seems to be different from the Soundblaster and
compatability is achieved through the WIN95 drivers.  ESS does not offer
a DOS version of drivers which could resolve the compatibility.

The one software package that does work is FFTDSP from Mike, AF9Y
<<http://webcom.com/af9y/>>.  According to the docs it provides 2 Hz
cells and can be set to integrate at least up to 99 fold.  It has an FFT
bin-to-pixel transform that can be twiddled or put into an "auto" mode
which seems to be pretty good.

Andre', please forward to Marco.

Spectrally challanged,

Frank Gentges K0BRA