LF: transatlantic tests

Andre' Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:04:13 -0500

Rik Strobbe wrote:

> From my experiences in EA8, monitoring DCF39, I can confirm that there are
> real big signal differences during the night. But despite what I did read
> about LF propagation before (best propagation between 4 hours after sunset
> to 2 hours before sunrise) DCF39 produced the strongest signal rather short
> (1 to 2 hours) after sunset (in EA8).

hello Rik,

1) what is the frequency of DCF39 ?
2) what format / information do they transmit?

> Maybe the best way to catch the right period is that at the US side they
> observe DCF39 and some BC stations arround 150-200kHz and alert the
> Europeans when signals get stronger.

indeed I can/will call Peter Dodd's home on the phone (land-line) if/when
anything significant materializes

> Sunset at the US side should be around 23UT (maybe André can confirm
> that)

Sunset these days on the East Coast is around 5 p.m. = 1700h (local) Eastern
Standard Time + 5 = 2200 GMT / UT /Sunrise today was at 0726 EST = 1226 GMT

73
Andre' N4ICK