LF: Re: DBF39 in VK

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:47:39 +0000 (GMT)

The group,
This fellow is on the same line of reasoning I was on when I wrote the
paper on signal strength estimation.  I want to refine my thoughts into
an equation we can work with.  Anyone have any thoughts on how to plug in
some of the other numbers we need?   If this fellow is anywhere near
right then we need to narrow up our detection bandwidths a lot and
integrate the signals for some time.  I have looked at the VK web page
and he is doing some interesting work.  One thing that bothers me is the
use of a one bit A/D converter.  While it may pull a single sine wave out
of many db of noise, my experience is that if any other sine wave is
within the band it will capture the system much like an FM detector and
any weaker sine waves may be lost.  With 16 bit sound cards on our PCs
this should not be necessary.  More stability in the A/D clocking may be
needed and receiver stability may be a challenge.  For the short term
this may be the best approach to getting the dbs needed to detect the
Euro stations.

Frank