[Fwd: Fwd: "Ask Dr. Solder !" (longish...)]

David V. Rogers dvrogers@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:55:16 -0500

--------------C028FE2C5D81347CAFE85B6F

--------------C028FE2C5D81347CAFE85B6F

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:32:24 -0500
To: avers@ibm.net (Denny Avers, W3DRY), BBaddley@aol.com (Ben Baddley, W4FQT),
        GBilger@juno.com (Glenn Bilger, W4OCC),
        LLBradley@aol.com (Lew Bradley, W4SWP),
        112037.537@compuserve.com (John Brogden W3VDL),
        FrankW4UMC@aol.com (Frank Brooks), W4LBM@aol.com (Howard Bullock),
        Al Cammarata <w3awu@juno.com>, wigo@aol.com (Robert Cannon),
        Armand Caron WA3TNQ <alcaron@erols.com>, Bud Caron <wa3tnq@Yahoo.com>,
        AG4R@erols.com (Wayne Cooper), K1ZAT@dsport.com (J. D. Delancy, W3SMD),
        piklepatch@aol.com (Bill Dill, N5OAJ),
        jduffer@mnsinc.com (James Duffer, WD4AIR),
        w3bbq_bob@compuserve.com (Bob Fasulkey),
        wgetchell@aol.com (Bill Getchell, sr. W1HRE),
        gregtybe@earthlink.net (Greg Haas, W5ZNT),
        JaKHammett@aol.com (Jack Hammett, K4VV),
        Warren Hayes <skip250@concentric.net>,
        fhaynes@juno.com (Francis J Haynes, W4NUA),
        W4LBL@aol.com (Joe Herrmann, W4LBL),
        thines@mitre.org (Terry Hines, N4ZH), Peter Hurd N1SS <n1ss@aol.com>,
        Peter Hurd N1SS  <n1ss@ainop.com>,
        jackson@us.net (B.C. "Jay" Jackson, Jr., W4VG),
        JRJNVV@aol.com (Ray Johnson, K5RJ), jjohnsto@erols.com,
        k4eux@aol.com (Elmer Jones), Dave Kausal W60GV  <KausalD@GTE.net>,
        w4zc@clark.net (Jack Kelleher), w4ee@aol.com (Jim Laughter, W4EE),
        mackeyf@erols.com (Frank Mackey, N4GUS),
        s_martin@ix.netcom.com (Stephen Martin, K3KQ),
        GMessmer@erols.com (Gordon Messmer, W4IQA),
        "William G. Mills" <WMILLS@gmc.cc.ga.us>,
        gapaull@juno.com (George A Paull),
        dvrogers@bellatlantic.net (Dave Rogers, K9RKH),
        rrucker@clark.net (Dick Rucker, KM4ML),
        nseese@cpcug.org (Nelson Seese, W4BHD),
        w4hyb@aol.com (Maury Shumaker - W4HYB),
        W4YE@aol.com (L W "Buddy" Smith), W5KL@alltel.net (Leland Smith, W5KL),
        W4AWL@juno.com (Milt Snyder), w4hu@juno.com (John Swafford),
        Wb4jjj@aol.com (Al Wheeler, WB4JJJ), Jim Wilcox <jimw@juno.com>,
        Bix W4BIX <bix@ricochet.net>, bobdooley@aol.com (Bob Dooley, KK4GB),
        huxlf@ngb-arng.ngb.army.mil (Luther Hux, N4BZQ),
        Larry Parfitt <Lcparfitt@aol.com>,
        Bob Plamondon <bobp@worldnet.att.net>,
        KF4AJZ@juno.com (Phil Schroeder)
From: Dick Rucker <rrucker@clark.net>
Subject: Fwd: "Ask Dr. Solder !"  (longish...)

>Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999
>Sender: owner-qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU

>From: "Radman" <radman@best.com>
>To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion" <qrp-l@Lehigh.EDU>
>Subject: "Ask Dr. Solder !"  (longish...)

>I received a number of technical questions re: the Weller
>WTCPT solder station and solder tips. Since I'm *not* a
>real "Doctor of Solder," I decided to call one on the
>phone. I had a nice chat with Mr. Larry Smith in Weller's
>engineering support division, and a thirty-year veteran in
>the soldering industry. Here we go with, "Ask Dr. Solder."

>Q: Why is a solder station "better" than a non-temp
>controlled (unregulated) soldering iron?

>A: A non-temp controlled iron *continues* to increase in
>tip temperature the longer it's plugged in -- up to 1100
>degrees-F !

>A solder station controls and maintains an
>exact tip temperature. In the case of 700 degree-F tips,
>you'll be soldering at a tip temperature of 400 degrees
>*less* than a non-temp controlled iron.

>A lower tip temperature with good technique translates to better
>joints with less chance of damage to sensitive components
>-- IC's, etc. (The 700 degree-F Weller tips will *not*
>exceed 710 degrees-F.)

>Q: Which tips do I use -- 700 or 800 degree-F ?

>A: The 700 degree-F tips are typically recommended for
>single layer and double-sided PC boards -- even four-layer
>PC boards. This includes practically everything in the
>world of amateur radio kits & homebrew.

>The most common tip for the WTCPT station is the
>Weller PTA-7 (1/16" screwdriver tip).

>You might also want a PTD-7 for much bigger pads/lugs, and
>a PTJ-7 for longer-reach work -- or <gasp> rework ;)

>If you want to try surface mount, pick up a PTS-7 for a start.
>The 800 degree-F tips are recommended for serious multi-layer
>boards -- 4 to 8 layer PC boards
-- *not* typically used for ham radio kits ;)

Richard A. "Dick" Rucker
City of Fairfax, VA

--------------C028FE2C5D81347CAFE85B6F--