188 Kc

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:05:42 +0000 (GMT)

Bob,
Interesting signal.  I am listening right now to 188.2 and do not hear
this.  I have heard QYV and several others at this site but I do not hear
any now.  Your may be hearing a computer as certain loops can give rise
to a carrier in the LF band when executing a particular loop.  Probably
in or very near your house.  Less likely is heavy industrial induction
heating furnace which would probably be local within several miles.

Right at the noise floor my NRD525 processor seems to be generating FSK
like signals that were driving me crazy until I found they were there
even without an antenna.  I added an LF preamp and the noise now
overrides these pesky processor spurious signals.

My listening is primarly trashed with 60Hz spikes from neighbor's SCR
light dimmers.  It is amazing what I can hear when these spikes are
gone.  Make sure you cannot hear a bunch of 60Hz related stuff when your
receiver is in wideband (3kHz or more) and in the AM mode.  That setting
shows up these spikes.  At narrow bandwidths the spikes are more like
random noise but still do a lot of damage to your noise floor.

I have not heard TH from New Jersey for several days but it is a real
consistant weak signal down here and should be copyable there in York.  I
find 500Hz bandwidth to generally let in too much noise to dig for the weak
ones.  I use a 200Hz crystal filter and gain quite a bit in signal detection.
The 100Hz position on the R-390A also does well with the built-in audio
filter.

If you have a 60Hz problem you might also try an LF isolation
transformer in your antenna line to cut way down the powerline ground
currents flowing to your antenna.  When you have it right, LF will sound
about like 80 meters with no 60Hz.  You might find several 60Hz sources
around your house and just keep watching your S meter as your try
different fixes.  I have a "torcharre" lamp with a dimmer that must be
turned of for me to monitor LF no matter what dimmer setting is used.

Enough rambling, hope my comments help you or other tacoistas.

Frank K0BRA