Hatfields and McCoys

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:37:41 +0000 (GMT)

Andre' and Tacoistas,

Great response.  To add, what might we learn about sky wave propagation
if we can realiably read 20 or 20 dB lower in S/N with dsp systems.  Are
there new prop modes we are unaware of like meteor scatter is to VHF?  We
won't know unless we do the work to be able to observe them.

I went to the Timonium Hamfest and had a nice talk with Chip Weems, W4PBG,
who is a member of the Historical Electronics Museum Amateur Radio Club.  It
seems the club has a number of ex-Westinghouse employees from the Friendship
MD site.  They did a lot of radio related work as well as radar there and
some of them worked on Navy LF and VLF programs.  Their is a natural interist
in this group in LF.  He extended an invitation for us (AMRAD) to make a
presentation about our LF work at a future meeting.

As we bring up transmitters on 137 kHz we need to get some listening.
Perhaps we should put together an LF listening information presentation and
demonstration on simple antennas, converters etc. so someone not familiar
with the lowfer work could get up to speed and receive us. We could
supplement this with info on the AMRAD web page.  Our recent experience
with Nags Head and Annapolis leave us in a good position to speak with
some experience.

I picked up a Wandel & Goltermann Selective Voltmeter and hope to compare
it with the HP 312A we used at Annapolis.  It sure looks like a fine
instrument.  Also purchased by mail the Ten-Tec RX-320 receiver and it is
quite impressive above 1 mHz.  I think I will try to modify one RF
transformer that may be limiting its LF performance.  Check out
<<http://www.tentec.com/>> for info.  They have downloadable schematics
which is very welcome, if not unusual.

Frank Gentges K0BRA