Hatfields and the McCoys?

William Cantrell QA0057@email.mot.com
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:45:32 -0600

Yes, I think we are in agreement here.  The military blazed the trail with their approach to
communications and their set of priorities. The one-way underwater submarine communications
at 21.4 kHz(?) with Cesium clocks and encoding come to mind.  Some of our members back in
the early 90's followed suit with signal processing techniques applied to differential BPSK,
and synthesizers locked to WWVB, in order to achieve major improvements in S/N and range.  I
have been playing with Bill de Carle's "AFRICA" software for decoding BPSK on the LowFER
band.  It is incredible!  If you get the chance, look in next month's LOWDOWN (April `99)
for an article on vehicular reception of differential BPSK:  I had solid copy for 330 miles,
real-time decoding, for a 5 milliwatt ERP signal.  The distance would have been farther, but
I ran out of highway once I got to the Gulf of Mexico.  Bill de Carle's software is
available for free at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~longwave/africabp.htm

73 de Bill