[RX320] LF conversion (fwd)

Frank Gentges gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:29:08 +0000 (GMT)

Tacoistas,

I sent the following message to the RX320 listserver.  We may find some
kindrid souls in search of what AMRAD is all about.  I will have some
preprints shortly for members if they don't want to wait.

Frank K0BRA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 01:19:28 +0000 (GMT)
From: Frank Gentges <gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
To: RX320@onelist.com
Subject: [RX320] LF conversion

From: Frank Gentges <gentges@itd.nrl.navy.mil>

Hi,

I am with AMRAD and we are doing some interesting stuff with LF and the
TenTec RX320.  AMRAD (Amateur Radio Research and Development Corporation) is
a non-profit corporation.  We operate as an Amateur Radio club focused on
hands-on experimentation in tele communications.  Among other interests, we
are working on developing low cost and simple LF techniques.  This effort is
in anticipation of the FCC allocating some of the LF spectrum to radio
amateurs.  Our newsletter has been carrying articles for some months
reporting on our LF work.

We have just finished developing a modification to the RX320 that extends its
range down to 10 kHz without losing performance at the 30 MHz top end.  This
should make a good performing receiver available to those interested in
listening and using LF.  Details of the modification will be published in
the AMRAD Newsletter due for mailing early June 1999.

Bill Farmer, W3CSW, another AMRAD member, has been measuring the
characteristics of his RX320 and his work-in-progress is impressive.  As his
work completes we will be providing articles on his work in the newsletter.
We are planning to put together a page on our web site on the RX320 with
some of this data and my attempts to take it mobile in my van.

Imagine, a VLF/LF/MF/HF mobile receiving setup.  I took my NRD525 mobile this
winter to the Outer Banks of North Carolina to search for weak LF signals
from European amateurs.  We heard some good LOWfer LF signals but did not
hear the Europeans.  Being a mile from any power lines on the beach next to
the ocean gave us a big advantage.  Next winter we hope to be armed with
better tools including the RX320.  We'll be reporting on our LF receiving
DXpeditions in the future.  Also, work is ongoing on a 200 watt LF antenna
tuner and tuning indicator that will be coming out in a few months.

If you are interested in this modification and similar work you may want to
get our newsletters by joining AMRAD.  AMRAD has many members worldwide who
feel the $20 per year is a good investment.  We have welcomed members outside
the Northern Virginia are a for years. Information on AMRAD, what we do and
membership details can be obtained at http://www.amrad.org.  Membership
applications can also be obtained by mail with a request to:

AMRAD,
PO Drawer 6148,
McLean, VA 22106-6146

Those joining AMRAD can obtain a preprint of the RX320 modification article
by indicating this with their membership application.

Frank Gentges K0BRA

Looking to expand your world?
http://www.ONElist.com
ONElist has over 115,000 e-mail communities from which to chose!