Successful BPSK Mobile Reception in the Summertime -- 570 miles!

Cantrell Bill-QA0057 Cantrell-QA0057@email.mot.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:16:52 -0500

Hello All,
What can you do with 2 milliwatts ERP in the summertime?  How does 570 miles
sound on 189.900 kHz?

I thought I would mention that I went on another trip with the van.  I was
able to receive the (1 watt input) "TEXAS" LowFER Beacon from 570 miles
away, as the crow flies, in Collinsville, Illinois (just east of St. Louis,
MO).  Copy was solid (despite some rainfall) all the way to Joplin, Missouri
(327 miles) when I lost battery power.  I will schedule a write-up of my
findings for a future issue of The LOWDOWN, (BPSK Adventures #3).  This
stuff is a blast!

--
Regards,
Bill Cantrell