Bad Programming

Andre' Kesteloot akestelo@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 07:32:55 -0400

--------------8EB35B1BAAA95DCA01BBE3A5

From: RFried4760@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:35:16 EDT
Subject: Asylum
To: akestelo@bellatlantic.net, perlaw@mfi.net,
        egans@sprintmail.com (Matt &
	Sharon)
CC: bnbechtel@yahoo.com, BonnefondM@aol.com, bonnefon@intrepid.net (pete),
        RAW@funtv.com

The Washington Post Sunday Book Review Section
Sunday, September 05, 1999,=20

 In Brief   Page 11

The Inmates Are Running the Asylum:  Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy=20
and How to Restore the Sanity,  by Alan Cooper (Sams Macmillan $25). =20
"Programmers aren=92t evil," writes Alan Cooper, founder of SEF=92s Windows =
SIG,=20
the largest Windows developers group in the world.  "They work hard to make=20
their software easy to use.  Unfortunately, their frame of reference is=20
themselves, so they only make it easy to use for other software engineers,=20
not for normal human beings."  This book is about how endemic bad program=20
design is in the industry. The cost says Cooper, is incalculable.  Whole=20
military efforts can go wrong, your airline flight doesn=92t get off the=20
ground, the intricate system in your Porsche goes haywire, your child=92s=20
school curriculum is paralyzed.  Our lives, adds Cooper, are increasingly=20
affected by bad programming and careless computer engineers.  As more and=20
more workaday functions are handled by computers, our reliance on them to do=20
the most basic things has made us dangerously vulnerable.  His book is an=20
attempt to expose the problems and outline how computer engineers need to=20
change their ways.

--------------8EB35B1BAAA95DCA01BBE3A5--