Fw: The Extracom project

Randy Mays randy@pobox.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:56:12 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_03B2_01BEFAFD.5E3739A0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: EBM=20
To: editor@amrad.org=20
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: The Extracom project

Dear Gentlemen.

We are proud to inform you that the G.I.R.A. (Grupo Independente de =
Radio Astr=F4nomos)[Independent Radio Astronomers Group] team is =
preparing for launching the first private extraterrestrial communication =
initiative, nicknamed Extracom. The project looks forward to establish a =
private level communication channel, operating on a peaceful and =
friendly purpose in a journalistic approach, containing a review of the =
planet Earth as we see it, aiming the potential audience scattered in =
the range of 2,000 light-years.=20

Our standpoint is that the extraterrestrial communication should be =
performed by civilian individual enterprise, whenever it's possible. Is =
our opinion that it is the only way to assure that the fundamentals of =
the freedoms of speech and information will extend to the farthest =
limits of the human experience. We do not accept the control of the =
extraterrestrial communications by governmental agencies, academic =
systems and big business. We are coming in to change the scene and turn =
earthly hard information widely available to the extraterrestrial =
public. Our objective is to stand above Earth's electronic noise by =
means of a powerful, concentrated, radio emission and to provide =
organized independent information about the world society, in the shape =
of a "wrap-up" of the planet, promoting the discovery of the Earth to =
those surrounding intelligent beings that may have not yet discovered =
us. We assume that the planet Earth is in peril and we need help. We =
think that the acquaintance of our drama - human degradation, political =
abuses, nuclear weaponry, environmental threats - by the neighbors and =
the resultant experience exchange increases our chances of being =
successful in the solution of some of those problems.

The Project

The project is being conducted by a group of amateur astronomers at =
Bauru, Brazil, and is based on the use of cheap "labor intensive" =
technology and creative software -developed by the group, in which ranks =
good-natured engineers, journalists, small-scale businessmen and small =
land owners, all friends, all independent thinkers, and not too many.=20

The geographic location of the transmitting facility in South America, =
the detailed technical profile and the documentation are to be released =
to the public after the beginning of the transmissions. The basic =
hardware to be used comprises a ground bulldozer-carved 60-meter =
concrete-framed non-steerable parabolic antenna, a private steam-powered =
energy generation facility, re-engineered optimized radio systems and =
related equipment and computers.=20

The transmissions, employing the combined digital modulation of two =
signal parameters (amplitude and polarity) will be taken into effect =
(initially - improvements are expected) through a narrow band (10 Hz =
bandwidth), 4.5 Gw, 21 cm frequency signal, making it receivable by an =
equal antenna at a distance over 1500 light years. Eventual =
gravitational lensing, that we expect to occur in some directions, could =
boost the signal to distances several times greater. Due to the location =
of the apparatus of transmission - the low latitudes of the Southern =
Hemisphere - we will be able to send our signal right through the most =
star-populated zone in the galaxy. Indeed, eventually we will be =
transmitting almost directly to the center of the galaxy itself, what =
increases substantially our chances of finding an audience.

The fixed condition of the antenna, what makes it dependent on the =
Earth's rotation, causes the dish to scan continuously the sky around =
the arc-seconds, not offering a good signal "exposure time" for the =
Receiver in the vast distances. For this reason, the Receiver will =
posses only a fragment of the total information at a time. Actually the =
Receivers would perceive the signal as a brief "glare" - in this =
circumstance the signal's efficiency is measured by the amount of =
information it can deploy within the lesser period of time. To cope with =
such handicaps the group has developed hardware and software capable of =
handling the transmission of binary bits at high speed. To ensure that =
the message will not be missed a sequentially numbered "tag" will be =
transmitted every 2 seconds, so that the Receivers can put the pieces =
together. Once the Receivers get the tag and a fragment of the =
information we rely on their curiosity and technical capabilities in =
following up the rest of the message every subsequent "day". If we are =
successful in delivering the message, and if the Receivers have =
communicative disposition, the first reply are to arrive in 300 years, =
according to estimates that indicate to be the civilizations separated =
by an average 150 light-years.=20

Contents overview

The transmissions will carry highly compressed binary bit information =
containing:

A. A 7 Mb executable program designed to display information. For the =
running of this software the Receivers will have to build an operational =
system, presumably not too difficult a task for any upper level =
civilization. We assume that whatever they are made of, their physical =
structure, they have to use some kind of machine, real or virtual (it is =
also probable that they are the machines. It is even possible that they =
are virtual machines. In these cases our job will be much more =
facilitated). We think that the sending of the program is in itself a =
statement of the cybernetic orientation of our race, and a sample of the =
abilities of the average dominant organic units of the planet.=20

B. Pertinent Data-base storing information to be displayed

C. A- A 10,000-word "pictorial encyclopedic dictionary" - a contextual =
language relating images, diagrams and mathematical expressions of what =
we want to represent to matrices of bits, creating matrical words and =
numbers, our Rosetta Stone - which features all the terms used within =
the message (the chemical elements, universal constants, natural laws, =
etc) including the software's source-code. This dictionary will enable =
them to translate the text format files (a small library containing =
excerpts from representative thinkers) we'll send and help in building =
an operational system to run the software. All the selected bibliography =
has been translated into this matrical dictionary (unfortunately, with =
terrible consequences for their literary style). The dictionary is =
independent of the software and is transmitted in the beginning of the =
message. It is easily readable, provided that the modulation of the =
signal withstands the travel across the light-years.

In other words, we want to upload a software (much alike the ordinary =
CD-ROM's) to an unidentified user who does not even know what a software =
is, and who will have to build some sort of machine to run it. We know =
that we depend dramatically on their ingenuity, on their capacity of =
filling the blanks (i.e. solving non-fatal logical inconsistencies). =
Fortunately, a famous theorem indicates that if they are there to get =
the message they will understand it.

The transfer of the full sequence from the first bit to the last, is =
planned to last 10 to 12 minutes. After that the message starts over. =
Without further support the group is capable of maintaining the project =
for one year, allowing us for covering the 360 degrees of our zenithal =
sky strip. Due to peculiarities of the motions of the celestial bodies =
involved in the transmission process (the Sun, Earth and the Receivers' =
stars and planets) some of them will have up to two minutes of signal =
exposure every 24 hours. They will take only 5-6 "days" to collect all =
the bits of the message. The transmitting sessions will be interrupted =
during six daylight hours, as the sun approaches maximum elevation. This =
will allow us for maintenance servicing as well as saving energy and =
equipment. In so doing the Sun's interference will also be reduced to =
the minimum. Every session the message will be repeated circa 80 times.=20

While the stream of bits is being transferred we will inform, through =
the signal's polarity modulation, and based upon a relatively simple =
binary logic codification, the precise location of the sun relative to =
the neighboring stars, the position of the planets Earth and Mars =
relative to the sun and the nature and location of the transmitting =
device on the surface of the planet Earth. This means that if by any =
reason they are not capable of reading the dictionary or putting the =
software to run, they will have at least the basic information about us, =
in a way that they can point their signal back at us.=20

In the database to be displayed by the uploaded program we enclose the =
spectrographic data of 100 stars of this sector of the galaxy so that =
the receivers can pinpoint the Sun by comparison. We will provide the =
path of the sun towards the apex, relative to the stars of this corner =
of the galaxy and the orbital parameters of the planets of the solar =
system. We will enclose instructions for building 2-d and 3-d diagrams =
depicting humans (including full-fledged genitalia), the DNA molecule =
and our reproduction process. Bitmaps will deliver views of the galaxy =
from this spot in space, from Earth and Mars. We show Earth's and Man's =
evolutionary timelines. We present a summary of our key scientific =
achievements. The Selected bibliography will inform about the human =
condition - reporting it is our prime goal - and its contradictions by =
representative thinkers. Our personal report on the human condition will =
expose how the majority of the intelligent creatures of the planet are =
kept out of the system by the local powers. To make it simple to receive =
a possible reply, we inform about our life span and the historical and =
cultural trends of this era. We report the initial movements towards the =
colonization of our solar system, specially focusing the fourth planet =
from the star - we remark that the reply may also be sent to there, =
since we expect that planet to be colonized by the time a message is =
sent back [in fact we expect the Martians to be facing the prime fires =
of their independence revolution, but this guess would be very difficult =
to explain to the Receivers, so we'll skip it]. Our current condition is =
featured with a thoroughgoing insight on computers and the Internet. We =
explain that we, as individuals, will likely be no longer in position to =
receive the reply, so they should include references about the origin of =
the message for our descendants' guidance. We also explain that our =
descendants themselves are not guaranteed to be here by the time the =
reply arrives, in account of the very same problems we denounce.

The problems of the human race must be denounced even though =
pathetically by a handful of idealists down there at the fringes of the =
civilized world. We hope that this initiative will help to introduce the =
humans to a new way of envisioning the universe we live in and to make =
the people start to consider some aspects of life that will have to be =
faced sooner or later. It is time to leave the province and join the =
great galactic community. It is time to speak freely from Earth to the =
whole universe. It is time to enter the real big world. We are going to =
make it through.

E.B. Marx

Spokesman for G.I.R.A.

------=_NextPart_000_03B2_01BEFAFD.5E3739A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
href=3D"mailto:ebernardo@blv.com.br" =
title=3Debernardo@blv.com.br>EBM</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:editor@amrad.org"=20
title=3Deditor@amrad.org>editor@amrad.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, September 09, 1999 10:22 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> The Extracom project</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><B><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D3>
<P align=3Djustify>Dear Gentlemen.</P></B>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>We are proud to inform you that the G.I.R.A. (Grupo=20
Independente de Radio Astr=F4nomos)[Independent Radio Astronomers Group] =
team is=20
preparing for launching the first private extraterrestrial communication =

initiative, nicknamed <B>Extracom</B>. The project looks forward to =
establish a=20
private level communication channel, operating on a peaceful and =
friendly=20
purpose in a journalistic approach, containing a review of the planet =
Earth as=20
we see it, aiming the potential audience scattered in the range of 2,000 =

light-years. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Our standpoint is that the extraterrestrial =
communication=20
should be performed by civilian individual enterprise, whenever =
it&#8217;s possible.=20
Is our opinion that it is the only way to assure that the fundamentals =
of the=20
freedoms of speech and information will extend to the farthest limits of =
the=20
human experience. We do not accept the control of the extraterrestrial=20
communications by governmental agencies, academic systems and big =
business. We=20
are coming in to change the scene and turn earthly hard information =
widely=20
available to the extraterrestrial public. Our objective is to stand =
above=20
Earth&#8217;s electronic noise by means of a powerful, concentrated, =
radio emission=20
and to provide organized independent information about the world =
society, in the=20
shape of a "wrap-up" of the planet, promoting the discovery of the Earth =
to=20
those surrounding intelligent beings that may have not yet discovered =
us. We=20
assume that the planet Earth is in peril and we need help. We think that =
the=20
acquaintance of our drama - human degradation, political abuses, nuclear =

weaponry, environmental threats - by the neighbors and the resultant =
experience=20
exchange increases our chances of being successful in the solution of =
some of=20
those problems.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P><B>
<P align=3Djustify>The Project</P></B>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The project is being conducted by a group of amateur=20
astronomers at Bauru, Brazil, and is based on the use of cheap "labor =
intensive"=20
technology and creative software -developed by the group, in which ranks =

good-natured engineers, journalists, small-scale businessmen and small =
land=20
owners, all friends, all independent thinkers, and not too many. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The geographic location of the transmitting facility =
in South=20
America, the detailed technical profile and the documentation are to be =
released=20
to the public after the beginning of the transmissions. The basic =
hardware to be=20
used comprises a ground bulldozer-carved 60-meter concrete-framed =
non-steerable=20
parabolic antenna, a private steam-powered energy generation facility,=20
re-engineered optimized radio systems and related equipment and =
computers. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The transmissions, employing the combined digital =
modulation of=20
two signal parameters (amplitude and polarity) will be taken into effect =

(initially &#8211; improvements are expected) through a narrow band (10 =
Hz bandwidth),=20
4.5 Gw, 21 cm frequency signal, making it receivable by an equal antenna =
at a=20
distance over 1500 light years. Eventual gravitational lensing, that we =
expect=20
to occur in some directions, could boost the signal to distances several =
times=20
greater. Due to the location of the apparatus of transmission &#8211; =
the low=20
latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere &#8211; we will be able to send our =
signal right=20
through the most star-populated zone in the galaxy. Indeed, eventually =
we will=20
be transmitting almost directly to the center of the galaxy itself, what =

increases substantially our chances of finding an audience.</P>
<P align=3Djustify>The fixed condition of the antenna, what makes it =
dependent on=20
the Earth&#8217;s rotation, causes the dish to scan continuously the sky =
around the=20
arc-seconds, not offering a good signal "exposure time" for the Receiver =
in the=20
vast distances. For this reason, the Receiver will posses only a =
fragment of the=20
total information at a time. Actually the Receivers would perceive the =
signal as=20
a brief "glare" - in this circumstance the signal&#8217;s efficiency is =
measured by=20
the amount of information it can deploy within the lesser period of =
time. To=20
cope with such handicaps the group has developed hardware and software =
capable=20
of handling the transmission of binary bits at high speed. To ensure =
that the=20
message will not be missed a sequentially numbered "tag" will be =
transmitted=20
every 2 seconds, so that the Receivers can put the pieces together. Once =
the=20
Receivers get the tag and a fragment of the information we rely on their =

curiosity and technical capabilities in following up the rest of the =
message=20
every subsequent "day". If we are successful in delivering the message, =
and if=20
the Receivers have communicative disposition, the first reply are to =
arrive in=20
300 years, according to estimates that indicate to be the civilizations=20
separated by an average 150 light-years. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P><B>
<P align=3Djustify>Contents overview</P></B>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The transmissions will carry highly compressed binary =
bit=20
information containing:</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>A. A 7 Mb executable program designed to display =
information.=20
For the running of this software the Receivers will have to build an =
operational=20
system, presumably not too difficult a task for any upper level =
civilization. We=20
assume that whatever they are made of, their physical structure, they =
have to=20
use some kind of machine, real or virtual (it is also probable that =
<I>they</I>=20
are the machines. It is even possible that they are virtual machines. In =
these=20
cases our job will be much more facilitated). We think that the sending =
of the=20
program is in itself a statement of the cybernetic orientation of our =
race, and=20
a sample of the abilities of the average dominant organic units of the =
planet.=20
</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>B. Pertinent Data-base storing information to be =
displayed</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>C. A- A 10,000-word "pictorial encyclopedic =
dictionary" &#8211; a=20
contextual language relating images, diagrams and mathematical =
expressions of=20
what we want to represent to matrices of bits, creating matrical words =
and=20
numbers, our Rosetta Stone - which features all the terms used within =
the=20
message (the chemical elements, universal constants, natural laws, etc)=20
including the software&#8217;s source-code. This dictionary will enable =
them to=20
translate the text format files (a small library containing excerpts =
from=20
representative thinkers) we&#8217;ll send and help in building an =
operational system=20
to run the software. All the selected bibliography has been translated =
into this=20
matrical dictionary (unfortunately, with terrible consequences for their =

literary style). The dictionary is independent of the software and is=20
transmitted in the beginning of the message. It is easily readable, =
provided=20
that the modulation of the signal withstands the travel across the=20
light-years.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In other words, we want to upload a software (much =
alike the=20
ordinary CD-ROM&#8217;s) to an unidentified user who does not even know =
what a=20
software <I>is</I>, and who will have to build some sort of machine to =
run it.=20
We know that we depend dramatically on their ingenuity, on their =
capacity of=20
filling the blanks (i.e. solving non-fatal logical inconsistencies).=20
Fortunately, a famous theorem indicates that if they are there to get =
the=20
message they will understand it.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The transfer of the full sequence from the first bit =
to the=20
last, is planned to last 10 to 12 minutes. After that the message starts =
over.=20
Without further support the group is capable of maintaining the project =
for one=20
year, allowing us for covering the 360 degrees of our zenithal sky =
strip. Due to=20
peculiarities of the motions of the celestial bodies involved in the=20
transmission process (the Sun, Earth and the Receivers&#8217; stars and =
planets) some=20
of them will have up to two minutes of signal exposure every 24 hours. =
They will=20
take only 5-6 "days" to collect all the bits of the message. The =
transmitting=20
sessions will be interrupted during six daylight hours, as the sun =
approaches=20
maximum elevation. This will allow us for maintenance servicing as well =
as=20
saving energy and equipment. In so doing the Sun&#8217;s interference =
will also be=20
reduced to the minimum. Every session the message will be repeated circa =
80=20
times. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>While the stream of bits is being transferred we will =
inform,=20
through the signal&#8217;s polarity modulation, and based upon a =
relatively simple=20
binary logic codification, the precise location of the sun relative to =
the=20
neighboring stars, the position of the planets Earth and Mars relative =
to the=20
sun and the nature and location of the transmitting device on the =
surface of the=20
planet Earth. This means that if by any reason they are not capable of =
reading=20
the dictionary or putting the software to run, they will have at least =
the basic=20
information about us, in a way that they can point <I>their</I> signal =
back at=20
us. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>In the database to be displayed by the uploaded =
program we=20
enclose the spectrographic data of 100 stars of this sector of the =
galaxy so=20
that the receivers can pinpoint the Sun by comparison. We will provide =
the path=20
of the sun towards the apex, relative to the stars of this corner of the =
galaxy=20
and the orbital parameters of the planets of the solar system. We will =
enclose=20
instructions for building 2-d and 3-d diagrams depicting humans =
(including=20
full-fledged genitalia), the DNA molecule and our reproduction process. =
Bitmaps=20
will deliver views of the galaxy from this spot in space, from Earth and =
Mars.=20
We show Earth&#8217;s and Man&#8217;s evolutionary timelines. We present =
a summary of our=20
key scientific achievements. The Selected bibliography will inform about =
the=20
human condition &#8211; reporting it is our prime goal - and its =
contradictions by=20
representative thinkers. Our personal report on the human condition will =
expose=20
how the majority of the intelligent creatures of the planet are kept out =
of the=20
system by the local powers. To make it simple to receive a possible =
reply, we=20
inform about our life span and the historical and cultural trends of =
this era.=20
We report the initial movements towards the colonization of our solar =
system,=20
specially focusing the fourth planet from the star - we remark that the =
reply=20
may also be sent to there, since we expect that planet to be colonized =
by the=20
time a message is sent back [in fact we expect the Martians to be facing =
the=20
prime fires of their independence revolution, but this guess would be =
very=20
difficult to explain to the Receivers, so we&#8217;ll skip it]. Our =
current condition=20
is featured with a thoroughgoing insight on computers and the Internet. =
We=20
explain that we, as individuals, will likely be no longer in position to =
receive=20
the reply, so they should include references about the origin of the =
message for=20
our descendants&#8217; guidance. We also explain that our descendants =
themselves are=20
not guaranteed to be here by the time the reply arrives, in account of =
the very=20
same problems we denounce.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The problems of the human race must be denounced even =
though=20
pathetically by a handful of idealists down there at the fringes of the=20
<I>civilized</I> world. We hope that this initiative will help to =
introduce the=20
humans to a new way of envisioning the universe we live in and to make =
the=20
people start to consider some aspects of life that will have to be faced =
sooner=20
or later. It is time to leave the province and join the great galactic=20
community. It is time to speak freely from Earth to the whole universe. =
It is=20
time to enter the real big world. We are going to make it through.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>E.B. Marx</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Spokesman for G.I.R.A.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03B2_01BEFAFD.5E3739A0--