Space Project

Pratt, Frank "Skip" fpratt@dayton.adroit.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:13:01 -0400

Taco Friends,

I have a friend who works with the science/space program at a Dayton School.
I mentioned that it might be an interesting science or space project to
monitor some of the NASA feeds that the Goddard Amateur Radio Club used to
provide in the Washington DC area.  The friend has asked me to make good on
my idea and so I'm turning to you guys for a bit of help.  The feeds I used
to listen to were on two meters but I think they also broadcast them on HF.
Does anyone have any ideas in this area?  Also any frequencies?  I also
thought that it would be interesting to try and predict when some satellites
would be overflying and then go watch for them.

Does someone have any recommendations for software, perhaps from AMSAT or
other group, that would aid in identifying when satellites would be passing
in view and also illuminated so that they could be seen from the ground.
The idea here would be for kids to log on to the Internet, get a two card
element set, use a GPS or map to find their accurate latitude/longitude,
check in with WWV and get a good time hack for their watch,  and then get
some Azimuth and time slots to try and visually track some satellites.  This
could be a good multpart exercise which would provide some feedback to the
kids when they actually saw a satellite and knew what it was.

Finally, do you have any other ideas where one could link ham radio and
space related experiments for high school or junior high kids.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

73

AMRAD Detachment 1 - Dayton

Skip  n2foe