What is IT?

Frank Gentges =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=D8BRA?= fgentges@mindspring.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:03:19 -0500

After the AMRAD meeting last night we went to eat pizza.  At the far end of
the table a discussion began on what "IT" was.

See <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49849-2001Jan11.html>.

My guess is that IT is something like a giant computer mouse.  The mouse
ball is replaced by a large inflated rubber ball a foot or two in
diameter.  The little sensor wheels are replaced by rubber tires on DC
servo motors.  A platform on top holds all this together and has gyroscopes
and a microprocessor.  As the platform begins to tilt the servomotors move
the rubber ball in the direction to return the platform to level.  A
joystick now can be used to command forward, backward and lateral
translation.

"IT" needs to turn so another platform on top of the first is mounted so
the upper platform can rotate with respect to the lower platform.  By
moving the person and the joystick to the top platform, the joy stick can
respond to twisting to rotate to the desired direction.  The microprocessor
can know the orientation and select the proper ratio of the two directional
motors to give forward, backward and lateral translation as the person sees it.

"IT" might be able to climb curbs and steps.  When it is put into a
shutdown mode some sort of legs can be put down to make it stable in the
unpowered state.

Just my speculation.  We should see the real answer soon.  Now I am off to
Nags Head for an LF weekend.

Frank Gentges K0BRA