LF...I thought these two items would be of interest.

TK Wood tkwood@pressroom.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:30:54 -0500

Hello:

I thought these two LF items would be of interest.   Also, if anyone needs a WWII LF-only receiver I know someone who has such a boatanchor.

Tracy Wood K7UO
Sterling VA

** IRELAND. DX Information from the British DX Club (BDXC-UK). From:
http://www.ukradio.com/news/NEWS1621.asp 26 Feb:

RTL is to sell Atlantic 252 share. Atlantic 252 have issued a
statement today following weekend press speculation around the
prospective sale of RTL`s 80% share in the station. In the statement,
Managing Director John O`Hara says "It`s business as usual," adding:
"Both the staff and myself are committed to restoring Atlantic 252 to
its former glory and that process has already begun. The resurgence
of interest in long wave from the UK, the Dutch and the Scandinavians
can only be good for us and we look forward to a long and successful
future." The statement continued: "Long wave radio station Atlantic
252 remains committed to both its advertisers and listeners" The
station relaunched its programme schedule a year ago with a new
rhythm and dance format, and Managing Director John O`Hara says there
are no changes planned in the near future. Ireland`s state-owned
broadcaster, RTE, which owns a 20% stake, remains committed to the
station (via Mike Terry, BDXC-UK via DXLD)

** NEWFOUNDLAND [and non]. Subject:  [BDXC-UK] Marconi - 100th
anniversary of the reception of the first Trans-Atlantic wireless
message

>From rec.radio.shortwave from: tsanford@nf.sympatico.ca

While I type this I am listening to Marconi`s daughter who is
visiting St. John`s, Newfoundland speaking publicly at one of the
events celebrating the 100th anniversary of the reception of the
first Trans-Atlantic wireless message.

She is describing, as told to herself and her mother by Guglielmo
Marconi himself, the events that followed the wireless message
reception on Signal Hill, St. John`s, Newfoundland in December 1901,
which had been transmitted from Poldhu in Cornwall, England.

Shortly after receiving the wireless message, lawyers representing
the Anglo Newfoundland Telegraph Company contacted Mr. Marconi with a
court order based on their sole right to handle telegraph traffic
through Newfoundland and across the Trans-Atlantic telegraph cable to
Europe.

Marconi was disappointed and frustrated by this and made preparations
to leave for the United States where he felt he would have a better
chance of setting up a Trans-Atlantic wireless link. The citizens of
St. John`s must have realized the scope of the achievement and gave
him a rousing send off as he boarded the cross Newfoundland railway
train to depart.

Fortunately the Canadian Government of the time had heard of the
achievement and invited Marconi to choose a Canadian site. Nova
Scotia in 1901 was part of the Canadian confederation whereas
Newfoundland was a colony of Britain until 1949 when it became the
tenth Canadian province.

So the reason that Marconi established the first Trans-Atlantic 'TWO
WAY' wireless station near Glace Bay in Nova Scotia, Canada, was
because of a `Legal` matter, not a technical one.

However Trans-Atlantic telegraph cables continued in operation until
around 1956 when the first Trans-Atlantic 'Telephone cable', TAT-1,
went into operation between Shoal Harbour (near Clarenville)
Newfoundland and Oban, Scotland. TAT-1 had 36 two way voice channels,
with electronic repeaters across the Atlantic. One voice channel
using different tones (frequencies for each telegraph connection)
could handle more traffic than all the telegraph cables then in use
and of course was not subject to the vagaries of radio transmission
across some 2000 miles of the North Atlantic.

So Marconi`s achievement was probably more of realizing and achieving
the usefulness of wireless rather than in claiming to have invented
it! After all some `wireless` phenomena were noted as far back as
1795! Marconi was only 26 or 27 in 1901 (via Mike Terry, BDXC-UK via
DXLD)