old AMRAD mystery solved

Richard Barth Richard.Barth@noaa.gov
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:32:21 -0400

Not having been active in the horse race, I didn't realize there was an
official "old AMRAD mystery".  The National Weather Service and a lot of
state and local organizations run tons of those things all over the country.
Besides tipping rain gages, they have others that measure snow pack depth,
stream height and other how-much-water-is-there information.  There are
specific frequencies in a government band set aside for hydrological
use, and they're used cooperatively by the Feds as well as state and local
governments.  Private sector types could use them as well.  The only
requirement is that all users must share their data.

73,

Dick