[Fwd: MPEG II Encoding]

Terry Fox tfox@erols.com
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:22:52 -0400

--------------81AB0356E8C3A4AA9CD51B8E

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:22:10 -0400
From: Terry Fox <tfox@erols.com>
To: tacos@amrad.org
Subject: MPEG II Encoding

This afternoon's talk was very interesting.

I suggest we keep up with what they are doing, and possibly get one set
of systems when they become available.  I think 1296 MHz might be the
best place for this.

How about looking at the Tivo for MPEG encoding and decoding.  Maybe we
can find some old Tivos at a good price, and wire into the encoder and
decoder.  Also, since Tivo uses Linux for control, we may be able to
decipher how to control the encoders and decoders.  At one time, Tivo
had the source code available on their web site.

Another option might be a chip from icompression.  Last year, I saw an
article in Electronic Design for a new chip that iCompression was coming
out with that does both encoding and decoding.  At that time, it was
just coming out, and I haven't looked to see if the chip is out yet.  It
was supposed to be $29 in large quantities, but used a 456-ball BGA
connection....

Terry

--------------81AB0356E8C3A4AA9CD51B8E--