802.11

Alex Fraser beatnic@home.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:34:47 -0400

Hey Paul

    I was not aware of AIRA at all, got a heads up at http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2001/08/09/1/?nc=1 .  I had a feeling that there were under currents besides the legal issues.
    I purchased a pair of Netgear Aviator 2.4 FHSS pcmcia cards a couple of years ago.  I was delighted when the FCC "legalized" their use for hams with the ruling on part 15 devices. I am waiting for some
802.11b devices in the mail. Why haven't hams jumped on these? There seems to be a popular movement in the country for wireless communities. Can the tail wag the dog? And just who is the dog? Some links to
ponder.
  http://www.novawireless.org/ in N. Va
 http://www.sbay.org/wvara-2000-08/intro-so.html
 http://www.guerrilla.net/
  http://www.teleport.com/~samc/psuwireless/  This site is temporarily down due to over quota access!
It has a lot of content! This is from Oregon.
 http://www.practicallynetworked.com/tools/wireless_articles_community.htm Lots of links and on the side an explanation of war driving.

--