Fwd: ComSoc V1 #66

prinaldo@mindspring.com prinaldo@mindspring.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:37:31 -0400

Gang,

FYI

Paul, HB/W4RI

ComSoc <ComSoc@skyhelp.net> wrote:
> ComSoc                         Wed, 24 Oct 2001           Volume 1 : Number 66

In this issue:

        Southern MD IEEE Chapter-- Student Robotic Competition Support

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:25:22 -0400
From: don@skyhelp.net (Don Rickerson)
To: comsoc@skyhelp.net
Subject: Southern MD IEEE Chapter-- Student Robotic Competition Support
From:"Devereux, Wayne"

MONDAY Oct 29 - IEEE Meeting - SUPPORTING LOCAL
ROBOTIC  COMPETITION
Date sent:      	Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:08:34 -0400

Free to all interested...

A presentation on:
- FIRST Robotic Competition -
How Our Community Can Support the St. Mary's Technology
Center's Engineering Team

 Presented by:
Students from St. Mary's Technology Center (supported by
Instructor David Buddenbohn)

 The IEEE Southern Maryland Chapter
of the Communication, Computers and EMC Society
will sponsor this meeting:

Monday  Oct 29, 2001; from 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.  (brown-bag lunch)
at Veridian Engineering, 22309 Exploration Drive, Lexington Park,
MD

The FIRST Robotics is a national competition where teams of
students design and build a robot which typically has to score
points by putting a hoop on a ring ten feet in the air or putting a
beach ball into a basket, all the while they are fighting off other
robots in the field of play.  This competition has high school
students team up with engineers and technicians to design and
develop these robots.   The students will be given a six week time
period starting mid January to complete the task and compete in a
Regional competition in Richmond, VA in March - finalists go to
Orlando, FL to compete in the National competition in April.  This
program also need's major sponsorship; current sponsors include
NASA GSFC, but other Gov't agencies and major high-tech
industries sponsors are needed.   The FIRST Robotics program will
provide the Technology Center's engineering students important
skills in systems engineering, team-work, design and fabrication -
highly technical skills our future work force in Southern Maryland
need to stay competitive.

The Technical Center's engineering students are seeking the
interest of any engineers and technicians willing to participate as
Mentor's and Gov't and sponsors to help fund this aggressive
program.    The briefing on Monday is to solicit the local
community support as partners in this
intense engineering competition, please attend if you can.

If you want to learn more about the FIRST Robotics competition
you can look on their web-site www.usfirst.org.   To learn more
about the Technology Center's involvement in this competition, or
further information on how to become a sponsor or an active mentor:

David M. Buddenbohn
Engineering Technology Instructor
Dr. James A. Forrest Career & Technology Center
24005 Point Lookout Rd.
Leonardtown, Maryland 20650
Off: 301-475-0242 / Fax: 301-475-0245
dbudd@ameritel.net

  _____

The meeting is OPEN to everyone (all IEEE members and anyone
interested from the general public)  Bring your lunch, drinks are
provided.

Please forward this announcement to anyone you know that would
be interested in attending... Please print and post the attached
flyer in high traffic areas.  (Adobe PDF file, MS PowerPoint file)

If you need more information or need changes made to the
distribution list please reply by E-mail (heatherf@navair.navy.mil or
wayne.devereux@veridian.com) or call: Fred Heather at (301) 342-
6975 or Wayne Devereux at (301) 863-4290.