DSP etc

Terry Fox tfox@erols.com
Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:02:57 -0500

Happy holidays to you, Doug.  I am sorry that I did not make it to Frank's
party, and missed you.  It sounds like your interests are just what the
amateur community needs!

I agree with a lot of what you have written.  It appears there are some
things that a dedicated DSP would be best to use, while other things could
use a generic PC.  I just bought a new 900MHz CPU, motherboard,  & 128MB of
RAM for under $200.00.  That's about the same as what I paid for the old
Motorola, TI, and Analog Devices DSP development boards.  I was just
thinking over the weekend that a bare-bones 900MHZ PC has got to have more
horsepower than a 56003 EVM.... which I used to program.

There are still places where a fast DSP would be better, however.  My
latest interest is faster VHF/UHF/Microwave modems.  Having a dedicated DSP
chip is certainly smaller and easier to implement, after design is
completed.  I want to send digitized MPEG video over these links.

Fast serial interfaces are non-trivial, as you suggest.  For years, I have
used the parallel port for just that reason.  I recently started
investigating USB.  I am presently playing with the DLP Design USB
interfaces.  I haven't had time to really get to know them yet, but they
look like a good solution, if USB is available.  The speed should certainly
be high enough.  Right now, I am trying to interface a homebrew HF spectrum
analyzer to a PC using PIC chips, DDS, and the DLP USB.  I am also
relearning Visual C.  I use it so rarely that I need to re-aquaint myself
to it on every large project.  I am still comfortable in the DOS/TurboC
world of ten years ago.

Anyway, I think your ideas are great!  We could use the help in several
areas you mentioned.  Glad to see you also have an LF interest.  I hope the
gang talked to you about possibly putting up a remote receiver.

Thanks for the interest, and the Email.
Terry Fox
WB4JFI
wb4jfi@cox.rr.com