Query on old IBM terminal

Robert E. Seastrom rs@seastrom.com
28 Jan 2002 14:25:35 -0500

"Richard Barth" <Richard.Barth@noaa.gov> writes:

> My son the old-hardware collector recently got hold of an IBM terminal, a CRT
> with a separate Logic Base model 3197 and a display adapter model  5291-222.
> Anyone have any information on this beast?

Stolen from a used computer dealer's web site:

   The IBM 3197 Display Station is for use with the IBM System/36,
   System/38, AS/400, and the 5294 or 5394 Remote Control Unit. The 3197
   is an attractively priced, 14-inch or 15-inch CRT display station with
   a smudge-resistant screen capable of displaying up to 3,564
   characters. Standard features include host-directed alphanumeric print
   support for IBM ASCII printers, 4201 Proprinter - all models, 4202
   Proprinter XL - all models, 4207 Proprinter X24E Model 2, 4208
   Proprinter XL24E Model 2, 5202 Quietwriter III printer, 5201 Models 1
   and 2 Quietwriter, and the ability to support two display sessions or
   one display and one printer session concurrently.

> The logic base has both a DB-25 and a twinax socket on it.  Any idea what the
> twinax is supposed to do?

The twinax is for connecting to the AS400 or the terminal front-end.
The DB25 is for a printer.

Unless your son is a collector of old IBM maiinframes, the terminal is
a curiousity and not much more.  :(

                                        ---Rob