AMRAD LF Upconverter, LO

Larry Kayser kayser@sympatico.ca
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:43:30 -0500

Frank & Steve:

Re AMRAD LF Upconver, Local Oscillator

I have read and reread this article in QST and am unable to find where you
speak to the issue of the desired waveform of the LO.

My observations are that most/many packaged oscillators have a equal
lateral triangle waveform on the output.  Logic oscillators (as in 74HC04)
can have seriously distorted outputs, as much as 80% and 20% unequal output
waveform.   Last but not least I have some TOYOCOM oscillator modules
(TCO-512K) here that put out a pulse that looks like a right angle triangle.

What would be the effect of such distorted waveforms when used with your
upconverter design?

My thanks in advance for your consideration of this inquiry.

Larry
VA3LK