LF operations...

Kenneth G. Gordon keng@moscow.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:21:30 -0800

I had no idea AMRAD was into LF until I read the article in the
September 2001 QST on your active receiving antenna, while
looking for a more efficient receiving antenna for my setup here.

I applied for and received a part 5 license, WC2XSR, to experiment
on MF and LF. Frequencies WERE in the 600 meter band, and on
166.5 Khz, 400 watts TPO and 200 watts ERP, essentially no
restrictions on antennas. We have 36 participants on my license at
the moment, and I am about to add another 35 or so of the
LOWFERS. I received the OK to operate on December 7, 2001.

The Coast Guard, belatedly, kicked us off the 600 meter band, then
relented and told me to apply for frequencies between 430 and 444
Khz. Apparently, the CG is working with the DOT to use 600 meters
as some sort of automatic hiway system.

We are, in the meantime, experimenting on 166.5 and getting
some interesting results.

I am going to send in a modification to our original license next
week. At that time I am asking for 160.5 Khz and 163.5 Khz in
addition to 166.5 Khz, and 438 Khz, 441 Khz, and 444 Khz. There
are NDBs as high as 435 Khz., BTW.

While I am at it, I am going to ask for 20 Khz too.

I think I should join AMRAD. What do you think?

Ken Gordon W7EKB and WC2XSR/10