Book

David Borden dborden@gvtc.com
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 09:29:40 -0500

Tacoistas,
  I have discovered a great book.  It is called 802.11 Wireless
Networks, The Definitive Guide by Matthew S. Gast.  It is available from
O'Reilly or at Borders or Amazon.  I work with wireless networks every
day doing security stuff and I have found this book really helps as a
great place to get a quick glance at the management frames or whatever
strange question I need answered.
  By the way, do not shop at WalMart, CVS Pharamacy, or Government
commissaries or PXs without using cash.  These folks have wireless cash
registers.  Use Kismet 2.2 running on a Linux laptop or the new Sharp
Zaurus with a PRISM2 wireless card (DLink is good) and hit "d" to get
the data dump.  You will see numbers you do not want to see.  They run
no encryption, although breaking the encryption takes from 20min - 1
day.  I use these places as benchmarks to ensure my equipment is working
good.
  I am very happy with my new Sharp Zaurus.  It costs 4 basic toy units
(4 BTUs or $425) and then you need a wireless card and ethernet card and
a memory SD card.  It should be great for ham radio.  I will try to
write a little newsletter thing about it and ham radio uses for it.  It
uses Linux, none of that Bill Gates (ET phone home) operating systems.
  Enough rambling, greetings from San Antonio.....david,k8mmo