TVRO

Brian Short bshort4@cox.net
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:10:04 +0000

At 09:15 AM 6/26/02 -0400, Alex Fraser wrote:
>    I have acquired some dishes. They came with the LNB's attached. Can
>these be used for anything but receiving the TV signals? I believe you

Well, I think there are 2 issues here.  First, obviously there are radio
applications for 10' parabolic dishes in the microwave region, above
1 or 2 GHz.  Radio astronomy and SETI enthusiasts have used them,
for example.

>must put the power on the coax, are these devices easy to get or build?
>I read at a site somewhere (which I forgot to bookmark) that you can
>attach the out put to a scanner and pick up some signals if you tune
>around 70 Mhz, has anyone here done this?

Second, the LNBs convert signals to a block of frequencies (950-1450 MHz).
Older LNAs used 70 MHz.  Still, one could tune the 950-1450 Mhz range with
some receivers.  Some have also used Spectrum Analyzers.

>    Is there a good resource for detailed technical TVRO information?
>One site I visited mentioned being able to pick up european
>geosynchronos satellites direct from the east coast by using bigger
>dishes and pointing them in the correct direction. What else is up there
>I might be able to scoop in a box?

"The Hidden Signals on Satellite TV" is a classic in the area of TVRO.
See http://www.k7on.com/references/books.htm for references.

Personally, I have a 4m Prodelin solid dish antenna.  It is a beauty,
but I have not yet figured out the mechanics for mounting it in an
Az-El configuration for a variety of potential applications some day -
solar radio astronomy, satellite snooping, possibly even EME.

My current interest is in constructing the mechanics for an AZ-El
mount.

Good Luck, Brian

--
bshort4@cox.net  >or<  http://www.k7on.com/