[Lf] Re: LF: polarization of small loops]

Veenstra, Lester B. Lester.Veenstra@lmco.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:47:22 -0400

Check Terman "Radio Engineer's Handbook", McGraw-Hill, 1943. Last Para Section 14-2

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Bruhns [mailto:bbruhns@erols.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 12:34 PM
To: andre.kesteloot@ieee.org; lf-amrad; AMRAD Tacos
Subject: [Lf] Re: LF: polarization of small loops]

Rik,

A small loop (a loop less than 1/4 wavelength in circumference)
radiates outward in the plane of the loop.  Polarization is in the
plane of the loop and perpendicular to the outward direction.
Overall, very much like the pattern of a short vertical antenna, but
with the magnetic and electric lines of force swapped.

So a small horizontal loop will radiate horizontal polarization in
all compass directions toward the horizon.  Of course this will be
distorted by ground reflection and Brewster effects.  For a small
horizontal loop close to the ground, the takeoff angle will be
raised up from  the horizontal, then falling off in intensity at
higher angles approximately according to the cosine angle, until it
reaches a null straight up (90 degrees).

A small vertical loop will also radiate in the plane of the loop.
Toward the horizon this will be vertical and broadly directional
(approximately cosine again) in the plane of the loop, with nulls 90
degrees to the sides.  Toward the sky, radiation will be
horizontally polarized like a horizontal dipole in the plane of the
loop.

Two small vertical loops, at right angles to one another and fed 90
degrees out of phase, will be more or less omnidirectional.
Vertical polarization toward the horizon, circular polarization
straight up.

Check Terman "Radio Engineer's Handbook", McGraw-Hill, 1943.

  Bob, WA3WDR