UK 5 MHz GB2RS News Announcement (fwd)

prinaldo@mindspring.com prinaldo@mindspring.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:49:36 -0400

This message is in MIME format.

--WBE1027640976e9e59a273c34afbdba16695e16471020

Gang,=0D=0D
FYI=0D=0D
Paul=0D=0D
=0D=0D
-------- Forwarded message --------=0D=0D
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:52:04 +0100 (BST)=0D=0D
From: fivemegs@boltblue.net=0D=0D
To: (list)=0D=0D
Subject: UK 5 MHz GB2RS News Announcement=0D=0D
 =0D=0D
I trust the attached good news will be welcomed in the USA.=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Best Wishes to you all from,=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Gordon L Adams G3LEQ - RSGB Spectrum Director.From: Gordon L Adams G3LEQ =
=96
RSGB Spectrum Director=0D=0D
Tel:  0044 1565 652 652              Fax: 0044 1565 634 560=0D=0D
E-mail: fivemegs@boltblue.net  and g3leq@ntlworld.com=0D=0D
=0D=0D
TO: ARRL Members as detailed in the E-mail header=0D=0D
Dateline: Friday 26th July 2002=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Ref:      5 MHz news from the UK=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Some of you may know that I wrote a paper for the Radio Society of Great
Britain=92s HF Committee a couple of years ago.  This put a case to the U=
regulatory authorities for limited access for UK radio amateurs to some s=
pot
frequencies in the range 5250 kHz to 5450 kHz.=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Tomorrow (Friday 26th July 2002) our GB2RS News Service Web site will rel=
ease
the following statement for general publication=85=85=0D=0D
=0D=0D
=93The Radio Society of Great Britain is pleased to announce that permiss=
ion has
been granted by the Ministry of Defence and the Radiocommunications Agenc=
y for
the allocation of five spot frequencies in the range of 5250 kHz to 5450 =
kHz.=20
The purpose of THE FIVEMEGS EXPERIMENT is to carry out propagation and an=
tenna
investigations aimed at improving the understanding of Near Zenithal Radi=
ation
or NVIS =96Near Vertical Incidence Skywave propagation =96 communications=
 via the
ionosphere.=0D=0D
=0D=0D
The frequencies are 5260, 5280, 5290, 5400 and 5405 kHz.  These will be m=
ade
available in the form of 3 kHz bandwidth channels by way of a Notice of
Variation to individual amateur radio licence holders. (Thus for USB usag=
e the
suppressed/nominal carrier frequencies of these channels become 5258.5,
5278.5, 5288.5, 5398.5 and 5403.5 kHz).=0D=0D
=0D=0D
In the first instance, NoVs will only be issued to Full Class =93A=94 lic=
ence
holders.  It is hoped to relax this ruling as the experiment progresses. =
 As
this is a controlled experiment, applicants will be required to report th=
eir
findings and results to the RSGB.  The RSGB is tasked with providing both=
 the
Radiocommunications Agency and the Ministry of Defence with reports on
findings as the experiment progresses.=0D=0D
=0D=0D
>From Monday 29th July 2002 Full licence holders interested in taking part=
 in
THE FIVEMEGS EXPERIMENT can obtain an application form and further detail=
from RSGB HQ, via the RSGB website, or by E-mail from ar.dept@rsgb.org.uk=
 =20
The first NoVs are expected to be issued by the Radiocommunications Agenc=
y on
or around 1st August, and it is expected that operation will commence a d=
ay or
two later.  It is anticipated that the experiment will run for a period n=
ot
exceeding four years, terminating at the low point of the present sunspot
cycle around August 2006.=94=0D=0D
=0D=0D
=85=85We hope to work some of your WA2XSY stations if you still have your=
 licences
when the path between the UK and the USA is in total darkness.  If you wi=
sh to
know more, you may contact me Gordon L Adams G3LEQ =96 RSGB Spectrum Dire=
ctor
via fivemegs@boltblue.net=0D=0D
=0D=0D
Best Regards, Gordon G3LEQ.                                              =
    =20
 Thursday 25th July 2002=0D=0D