Wireless

Alex Fraser beatnic@comcast.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:21:02 -0400

I am a 802.11 enthusiast. I understand there may be some issues with the
band, but I think it worth including in the Ham "bag of tricks". Any one
else out there?

    There is a new device out by Linksys which is very interesting. It
is the WET11 and it is an ethernet to 802.11b bridge. That is you pump
an ethernet stream in one end and it turns it into a 802.11b wireless
stream out of the antenna.
    Working with 2.4 gigs presents some problems in getting any range.
If you put your antenna high then you would have to deal with line loss
(or very expensive setup costs). You can put the WET11 right at your
antenna and feed it with cat 5 cable which means you can put it 100
meters from your computer. Who has a 100 meter tower?
    Nice thing about these WET11's is they are priced around $100 street
price. This could be the device that makes a high speed ham network
possible. Voice, video over IP? Routable repeaters? Remote repeater
control via web interface, remote HF?

--
........ Alex Fraser  N3DER .........
......... beatnic@comcast.net .......