88

hal hfeinstein@cox.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:58:24 -0500

Ops   your right it is agent 99.

The 86 comes from the 10 code used by some police, 10-86 means
a drunk.

Also, looking over an phillips code I see it was used primarily by press
telegraphers
not railroads.  I'm going to guess that the wire codes, of which 88 was
one, is not part of the text codes used for press stores but instead as a
chatter code used between telegraphers. There seems to have been an even
older two digit procedural and chatter code used by the old sparkies
and (this is a far guess) Phillips may have picked 88 and other two digit
codes from them.