Experiments

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot@ieee.org
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:01:43 -0500

--------------0181A980A09B5E6845CCFEC1

MarkusVester@aol.com wrote:
Pease as the original source of the experiment. I think DL2NDO mentioned
it when he told us about it a few years ago, I just didn't remember.</font></font>
inverter: photocurrent in the c-b-junction. You really don't need a microscope
to see its origin, though a small magnifier helps. Just look at the chip
in the dark and turn on reverse-bias, and you will see a faint glow of
orange-coloured light. It is quite pretty on a larger transistor like a
2N3055, the structured rim of the emitter zone is seamed by luminescence.
- But the voltage conversion is not very efficient: 0.3V x 0.4uA output
from a 2N5322 fed with -9V x -4mA (yes, PNPs can do it just as well).</font></font>
rectified zener noise, but I think polarity would be the other way round:
RF rectification in a diode generates reverse, light "rectification" forward
voltage. - Today I connected a scope parallel to the 2N2222 e-b-junction
in pursuit of Rik's observation, and yes, there it was: Slightly above
the threshold of avalanching, there were three discrete bands of instability,
up to 50 mV pp. I couldn't trigger the timebase properly so it was not
periodic; the display looked a bit like a train of pulses clipped between
two levels, as if someone turned the avalanching on and off at random.
A pair of 300 ohm headphones in place of the biasing resistor revealed
it as wideband (and apparently very non-gaussian) noise.</font></font>
... Apropos headphones: they remind me of an experiment Geri and I did
some time in 2001: We connected them to my LF antenna through an old TV
line-transformer acting as a resonating inductance, tunable by the width
of its airgap. Then we listened to the high-pitched beeps of the russian
Alpha beacons, without any amplification or frequency conversion. Had I
tried this 40 years earlier, perhaps I could have _heard_ SAQ on baseband...</font></font>

--------------0181A980A09B5E6845CCFEC1--