Fw: IEEE NoVa Communications Society meeting, Tuesday Feb. 25, 2003

Paul Rinaldo prinaldo@mindspring.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 05:41:50 -0500 (EST)

Gang,
FYI
Paul

Dear IEEE Communications Society members and friends,

The first meeting of the IEEE's Northern Virginia Communications Society
is on Tuesday, Feb. 25th.  We are privileged to have Dr. Louis Pecora of
the Naval Research Laboratories give us a technical talk about recent
advances in chaos theory and its applications.  I've known Lou since the
early days of Apple's Macintosh computer, when we were using Macs for
scientific computing.  He's an engaging and entertaining speaker, never
dull, always funny.  You will want to come out and hear him, so put this
on your calendar.  He tweaked his resume just for us - he wanted us to
know that he was a foreman at Hazleton Weaving Company, just in case you
were a Hazleton alumnus as well.  If you're interested in learning a
little bit about chaos theory, have some pizza with your friends and
renew old acquaintances.  The meeting will be held at the TRW building
in Reston, VA.  Details are included below.

Our section has had a changing of the guard this year.  Matt Giltner,
who's ably served as your chair for the last two years, is still active
and will continue in IEEE leadership in the Washington area.  He's also
volunteered to be our treasurer.  It's my privilege to take over as
chairman from Matt.  Dennis Moen is our vice chair, and Steve Briese is
our secretary.  In the next few months I want to tell you more about
each of them.  Suffice it to say that we have good and capable officers,
for which we are grateful.  Our local branch of the Communications
Society is going to continue what we do best, which is to have a strong
program of interesting technical speakers for our meetings.

Speaker: Dr. Louis Pecora
         Naval Research Laboratories
Title:   Some Things You Can Do With Chaos