Spam

Maitland Bottoms aa4hs at amrad.org
Sun Mar 23 17:01:56 CST 2003

Andre Kesteloot writes:

 > It seems to me that the amount of spam on the two AMRAD reflectors is
 > increasing, and I  move that we implement asap a"semi-moderated" list.

The bar has now been raised.

While in fact the previous list software configuration was trapping a
fair amount of spam, that which made it through led to André's
comment.

Dear mailing list subscribers: I hope you will notice a relief from
the onslaught of spam.

Some of you may have noticed that the transition has been onging, and
may have confronted error reports when posting or doing administrative
interaction during the past two weeks. Now those troubles have been
resolved. Some posts were delayed, but now have been delivered.

Implementation details: The mailman software (http://list.org/) has
been upgraded from version 2.0 to 2.1, with many enhancements. Now
SpamSssassin (http://spamassassin.org/) filters each message.

The task remains to clean archived messages, then use that clean
corpus to improve the Bayesian classifier for these lists so that the
human moderator role is easier.

Saepe Paratus,
-Maitland