PTTH

Maitland Bottoms aa4hs at amrad.org
Thu Apr 10 23:25:05 CDT 2003

The remainder of this text in an encore presentation...

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:28:29 -0500
From: Maitland Bottoms aa4hs at amrad.org
Subject: PTTH

    w4ri> Particularly for Dave Borden, A year or so ago, one of us
    w4ri> (Dave, George or I) had some discussions about a basic
    w4ri> digital communications protocol that would serve as a
    w4ri> protocol identifier for digital modulation schemes.
    ...[6]
    w4ri> PS: Anyone else who might have it in private archives please
    w4ri> cough it up.  It's time has come.

Ah yes, I had some ideas along this line....[1]

Packet Transmission Type Handshake

Protocol to determine shared modulation modes between communicating
radios.

The set of possible modes is represented by a list of Modulation
Envelope Mode Identity types that enable communication identifying
shared modes for the actual transmission of data.

Also the handshake can specify protocol versions, and might take place
on a spread spectrum link, the SPTTH [2] variant. The PTTH protocol is
extensible, so that as new radios become available, they merely
negotiate their common MEMI types, which might not exist at the
present time.

Thus radios become Bandwidth Enhanced Wireless servers, and create BEW
links between themselves. The protocol can be more efficient if
information is saved, so that two radios that have previously been
through the PTTH negotiation can exchange Tokens About Cached
Objects. These TACOs should be optional.[3]

Example:
Here the Packet Transmission Type Handshake is used to negotiate a
traditional analog modulation scheme...

Station A			Station B

CQ PTTH	DE W3URL
				PTTH/1.0 QRZ? DE W3WWW