[Fwd: RE: LF: No US Ham Band]

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Thu May 15 13:58:42 CDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: LF: No US Ham Band
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:41:44 -0400
From: "Ashlock,William" <William.Ashlock at bocedwards.com>
To: "'rsgb_lf_group at blacksheep.org'" <rsgb_lf_group at blacksheep.org>

>Despite assurance from ARRL that an amateur would have to be within a
>few 100 yards of the line for there to be any problem, at which
>distance the power line QRM would be horrendous, FCC have gone along
>with the power companies in rejecting the proposals. The fear is of
>switching relays being incorrectly turned off by amateur interference
>and causing power blackouts.

Hmmm. This ridiculous over-concern with 1w ERP could be turned around. What
if one of the major TV networks were put on a typical 2 min 'newsy item'
where one of us, in an interview, would state that the power grid is
vulnerable (by the power companies own admission) to a level of power that
could easily be generated from an automobile parked under a high tension
line with nothing more showing that a typica AM antenna? A statement could
be added that translates the 1w ERP max at ~300ft to the power needed at,
say, 50ft from the line to cause a problem (Is that ~30mw?). You know the
analogy that the public understands: "Less than the power to operate a
flashlight". Add a few juicy doomsday tourist scenarios and the general
public (politicians?) would be up in arms! I'm sure the power companies
would quickly counter with a statement indicating that they have designed
their system to be safe from any mobile RF power source short of, say, 1KW?.
Then we'd have them!!

Bill A

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com