DSL filters help regular dial-up modem connection?

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Wed May 21 11:53:33 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: amradio-admin at mailman.qth.net [mailto:amradio-
admin at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim candela
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 10:36 PM
To: amradio at mailman.qth.net
Subject: [AMRadio] Telephone line bandwidth for AM
Phone Patch

All,

This is a little off subject, but just a little. Sometimes
when we use a phone patch on AM, we can get better results
matching phone line impedances, and maybe a little lead, or
lag to help equalize (or add pre-emphasis) to the available
bandwidth. I am sure this was studied years ago when
professional baseball games were broadcast from the
announcer's
booth, and then piped for hundreds of miles down telephone
lines, and then using the remoted audio to modulate
broadcast AM transmitters.

This all occurred to me today when I made my house DSL
ready. Four lines (with a common beginning) now each have a
DSL filter at the end before going into a telephone, or
modem. I have NEVER been able to connect to the internet at
a rate higher than 28.8 Kbs. Today after installing DSL
filters (including one at the computer modem), my connection
is 48.8 kbs!!!! I just might cancel the DSL which starts
tomorrow, and keep the filters. So what technology is in use
with these filters? How do they apparently result in
improved connection speeds? Is it terminating the line in
it's characteristic impedance, or increasing the
longitudinal balance?

Remember the answers to these questions need to be discussed
in a manner that will help us AM hams have more fidelity
when we remote our stations, or use a phone patch, or
download the AMRADIO reflector's email.

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO