Broadband over Power Line Testing

Frank Gentges KØBRA fgentges at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 24 06:09:30 CDT 2003

Hi,

Greetings from the members of AMRAD.

AMRAD, a technically oriented amateur radio club, is interested in
observing the new technology known as Broadband over Power Line (BPL) under
field operating conditions.  This technology has the potential for
providing a means for high speed Internet connections to many homes not now
served with any wideband connection.  The FCC has issued a Notice of
Inquiry on BPL with comments due on 7 July, 2003.

ARRL is especially interested in this technology and it potential impact on
amateur radio.  They have put together a lot of good information at
<http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/>.

The City of Manassas is a test site for this technology.  Other than broad,
sweeping statements on the technology, proprietary secrets seem to limit
the availability of detailed information on these tests.  We do know that
the City of Manassas has an experimental FCC license to operate in the
range of 1.7 to 30 MHz which includes all the amateur HF bands.

We are interested in knowing if any hams in Manassas are involved in the
tests or know of someone who is.  We would like to know how well the system
works and what interference, if any, has been experienced from the
system.  We need to know where in the city the testing is being done.  We
have some test equipment that we can use to observe and characterize any
such interference.  This information will be shared with the ARRL and will
help in the preparation of a response from the amateur community to the FCC
Notice of Inquiry.

Obviously, time is very short.  Please provide any information along these
lines to:

Frank Gentges, K0BRA  email fgentges at mindspring.com

We enjoyed the OVH hamfest at the Manassas Fairgrounds earlier this
month.  Thanks for the work and effort your club puts into this.

73,

Frank

Frank Gentges KØBRA
<fgentges at mindspring.com>