LF Stuff

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 1 21:39:47 CDT 2003

Brooke,

I checked out your web page a bit.  You sure look like a member of
AMRAD with all your interests and activities.  I  note you still have
your  Ford Cobra.  I almost bought a 289 version in 1966 but in the end
I did not go over to the dealer to look at it.  My boss was trying to
get me to get it as it was the last one of the 289s and it was priced
really right.

I see you have some really good impedance test equipment and use some
nice techiques to expand the useage.

I have an old 4815A here and its design inspired the work you saw.  I
would like anyone with a few hunded dollars to be able to measure
impedance magnitude and phase up through the HF band.  This could really
help in dealing with LF designs and help to kick up the quality of work
a notch.

Larry Kayser's program is a serial port program for the PIC.

We discovered that some silicon rectifier diodes create sharp current
pulses at the point the voltage goes through zero and conduction turns
off very abruptly.  This in turn can generate some hash at least in the
LF range.  A 0.01 or a 0.1 ufd disk capacitor across the power
transformer secondary or better yet at the diodes can suppress this
hash.  It was supposed to be added to the design but the change got lost
and then did not prove out to be a problem on all diodes.  Higher PIV
diodes seem to be worse.   I did not push the change but in retrospect,
I should have.

There is a good low pass filter we put into our LF converter covered in
the April 2002 QST.  The PC is seperate so you can order the PC alone
without the converter board.  I have measured pretty good ultimate
rejection with the massive ground plane used on the PC.  This filter can
keep some pesky AM BC signals out of your LF receiving gear.

Since LF was denied by the FCC we have been concentrating on
understanding the impact of Broadband on Powerline transmission of high
speed internet and the interference of ham radio on it.  It  looks like
hams and this technology may have some problems living together.

73,
Frank K0BRA