Interference noise metric

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Sun Nov 30 08:30:36 CST 2003

Paul Rinaldo wrote:

>Gang,
>
>The FCC has released their NOI on interference temperature. It doesn't apply to amateur bands this time around but could in future if the idea gets some traction.
>
>Paul

ho ho ho (as Santa might say)

 From the first paragraph of the first document mentioned:

quote:
"In addition, to the extent that the interference temperature limit in a
band is not reached, there could be opportunities for other
transmitters, whether licensed or unlicensed, to operate in the band at
higher power levels than are currently authorized"
unquote.

That, IMHO, is a Pandora's box waiting to be opened.

For instance, if BPL does not create immediately the right interference
"temperature", it could be authorized. And then, of course, could not be
recalled / canceled, afterwards. A prefect opportunity for the FCC to
authorize all sorts of things. And we know, if only from the Citizen
Band, that once something is authorized, the FCC loses control of it, as
there is scant enforcement applied, the valuable efforts --in our
amateur bands-- of Riley Hollingsworth K4ZDH not withstanding.

73
André  N4ICK