Beginners LF

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 25 13:23:22 CST 2003

Vic,

We worked on developing an active anenna specifically for receiving LF
and it just turned out to do pretty good on HF and MF as well. It will
outperform any 200 foot piece of wire in the LF range. See the Sepember
2001 QST for a construction article. The RF-590 is a really great LF
receiver and it can make use of a good antenna. You will almost
certainly have to spend some time trying out various ground arrangements
to suppress power line harmonic noise.

You may want to look into a program called ARGO that is downloadable
from www.weaksignals.com that will enable you to look for signals with
very narrow bandwidth filters.

Check out our web page at http://www.amrad.org/projects/lf and also
http://www.lwca.org