Fw: Can you join us at AMSAT meeting Sunday at GSFC?

Paul Rinaldo prinaldo at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 15 10:54:24 CST 2004

Gang, Please note. Paul

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Perry Klein <pk at washcable.tv>
Sent: Mar 15, 2004 6:11 AM
To: Paul Rinaldo <w4ri at arrl.org>
Cc: Pat Kilroy <Patrick.L.Kilroy at nasa.gov>, Tom Clark <w3iwi at amsat.org>
Subject: Can you join us at AMSAT meeting Sunday at GSFC?

Hi Paul,

Next Sunday, March 21 is the AMSAT-DC meeting and space
seminar at the Goddard Visitors Center.  We'll also be
celebrating AMSAT's 35th anniversary with a birthday cake
and possibly a presentation of slides of AMSAT's early days.
Bob Bruninga and a number of other educators are expected
to be there.

I hope you can join us!  Please remind the other AMRAD and
ARRL folks.

73,
Perry, W3PK
AMSAT

AMSAT-DC MEETING AND SPACE SEMINAR (brief version)

WHO:   All ham radio operators, students and educators are invited.
WHAT:  Talks, demos, tutorials and socializing about amateur
        satellites and balloon experiments in the mid-Atlantic area.
WHEN:  Sunday, March 21, 2004, starting at 12:00 noon EST.
WHERE: NASA GSFC Visitor Center auditorium, Greenbelt, Md. 20771
WHY:   Fun, education, public service, cool, and more fun.
HOW:   Talk-in on 146.835 MHz WA3NAN/R and on APRS map.
HOST:  Pat Kilroy, N8PK, n8pk at amsat.org
WEB:   See http://patkilroy.com/amsat-dc/ for late breaking info.

2004 AMSAT-DC MEETING AND SPACE SEMINAR

The local AMSAT members invite all space enthusiasts to
the next Maryland-DC area annual AMSAT Meeting and Space
Seminar.  Students, educators, experimenters and all Amateur
Radio operators are welcome.  We start at 12:00 noon this
year.  Mark your calendar for Sunday, March 21.  Same place
as last year, namely the Visitor Center auditorium at the
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) in Greenbelt,
Maryland.

The topics relate to the amateur space program, Amateur
Radio, homebrew electronic projects, high-altitude balloon
experiments, telemetry and related items.

The format is a combination of presentations, informal
"show 'n' tell" demonstrations and a social period.
Normally the first presentations and the keynote address
are designed to be especially valuable for the beginner
satellite operator.

Informal talk-in is on WA3NAN/R 146.835 MHz Greenbelt.
The Visitor Center phone number is 301-286-8981.

Donations will be accepted to help offset the associated
seminar costs.  Free paved parking is available on site.

Map and directions:
http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/vc/directions.html

Note: From Soil Conservation Service Road turn west onto
Explorer Road.  The meeting place coordinates are roughly
N 38° 59' 34.8", W076° 50' 48.8".

Unlike previous meeting years, the NASA GSFC Visitor
Center and the Gift Shop is NOT open to the general
public on Sunday.

DUE TO SECURITY RESTRICTIONS observed at this
facility, our meeting here is contingent upon the
national Homeland Security Level being no higher than
ELEVATED (Code Yellow) on the meeting date.  See
http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/ or
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29
for the security level in effect.

Information and late breaking news can be found
at http://patkilroy.com/amsat-dc/

This meeting is open to all.  Please forward this message,
print this out, post it and SPREAD THE WORD.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Pat Kilroy, N8PK
AMSAT Area Coordinator (MDC Section)
n8pk at amsat.org

Hi all,

So far for March 21 I have these confirmed participating:

1. Rick Hambly, W2GPS (presenting) on the progress of the
AMSAT-OSCAR-E launch.

2. Scott Lindsey-Stevens, N3ASA, and Frank Bauer, KA3HDO (presenting)
on the new Phase 2 amateur equipment aboard the Intl. Space Station

3. Bob Bruninga, WB4APR (presenting) on the Naval Academy's latest
satellite projects.

4.  Tom Clark on his new C-Band in-band transponder concept.

We hope to attract more hams.  We hope to see teachers
and students attend.  (Would like a teacher to present too,
if possible!)  We need at least the *brief* announcement
to appear in club newsletters, on nets, in schools and posted
in good places (club shacks, in stores, on your office door).
Can you help?  Much is needed.  Thanks!