The secret police are here!

hal hfeinstein at cox.nospam.net
Sat Apr 17 21:36:07 CDT 2004

I thought others on the list might be interested in this slightly
off-the-topic note:
Like many, I run an apache web server on a not-for-profit basis.  I have
been making small
incremental improvements here and there to the server. The latest thing I
did was turn on
"agent" logging.  This is a log listing the browsers that are used to surf
the site.  Its actually
pretty interesting to look over.  In it I can see the names of a dozen or
so web crawlers and while looking at these crawlers I found this one:
http://www.nameprotect.com/.  If you go to this site you
will see that this crawlers business, unlike google's googlebot crawler or
yahoo's, is surveillance. I'm sure they aren't the only ones engaged in
this kind of activity but simply the least covert.  They say they are
simply protecting their client's trademark rights.  I'm sure they can be
taken at their word.  There is another log option in apache too, its a log
listing the referring site which is the last site you visit before surfing
over to this one.

Spam Warning:  To reply to me delete nospam from the sender address