Free WiFi Planned for National Mall

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Mon May 3 09:06:21 CDT 2004

    Not knowing for sure, but I think a considerable portion of the
budget would go for purchasing bandwidth into the internet.  Would they
use a T1 for every hotspot?  What is the government rate for a T1 per
month?  Street price in the burbs hovers around  ~$500, I would think it
higher in DC proper. Internet access is a recurring cost and dwarfs the
cost of the equipment which is really low.
    And while we are talking about hotspots I will put a plug in for the
Hinternet.
Hinternet?  This is what the ARRL HSMM (High Speed Multi Media) working
group is calling the amateur implementation of 802.11 wifi  networking.
It would be possible and legal to set up a wifi hotspot for ham use
under part 97 rules.  The working group suggests channels 2-6 in order
to stay within our band. Issues of content, IDing and security have been
gone over, discussed, considered, rediscussed and reconsidered for over
a year.  We are good to go.

--
........ Alex Fraser  N3DER .........
......... beatnic at comcast.net .......