Doug Lung's RF Report

hal feinstein hlf100 at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 19:22:41 CDT 2004

Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

>"Richard Barth" <Richard.Barth at noaa.gov> writes:
>

>>Some people never learn.
>>
>><http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=557>
>>

>While the current situation where everyone and his brother has an
>unsecured 802.11 connection running is indeed abysmal, it's worth
>noting that APs secured by my favorite means (wide open APs, connected
>to quarrentined network that connects only to DHCP server and VPN box)
>would also show up as "open" based on their auditing technique.
>
>                                        ---rob

Although people say the main problem with 802.11 is WEP this post
demonstrates that people don't event bother to turn on any security or
set the SSID on their cards, they just use it out of the box. Even
though WEP is broken and no better than a screen door, it does knock out
the casual browers without their copy of airsnort. TKIP is a
software/firmware replacement for WEP. Its a lot harder to break than
WEP (difficult but not impossible, hence not good of really sensitive
stuff). But there's 802.11i security coming with AES that will require
everyone to junk their current wireless stuff because the hardware in
these wireless cards and AP's can't handle the algorithm loads --no
cycles left to compute AES and do wireless stuff. --hal